EXERCISE 7 - Being gentle with your thoughts

Begin your meditation by getting comfortable. Bring a pencil and paper with you in case you want to make a note about anything.

  1. As you begin to focus your mind, observe how your body relaxes itself. You may notice your breathing is slower. Certain muscle groups release their tension.
  2. As stray ideas enter your thoughts, notice them, and let them pass through. 
  3. Refocus yourself.
  4. Perhaps an especially irritating idea arises. Just notice it and let it pass through. If an idea simply won't go away, write one or two sentences about the idea.
  5. Then return to your meditation. Do this for at least ten minutes.

How many ideas did you feel compelled to record?
Was there much that seemed vitally important? Did some of the thoughts just pass on by without making much of an impression? Did the same thought come up again and again? By paying attention in this way—writing down whatever thought was compelling enough to stick with you—you are acknowledging your own mental process. There is no criticism here, as there is no critic. You are simply observing your own mental function.

I find that in meditation I may remember something I have to pick up at the store. By writing it down, I can let go of the worry that I may forget. Sometimes the image of a friend sticks in my mind. If I write down the name, I will remember to call or write. If a memory of something happy, angry, or sad arises, a sentence can help me acknowledge that bit of my history. I find that after a while, there are fewer thoughts that seem so compelling, and those few that are take on greater significance. While not much will have changed in my work and social life, I have experienced a renewed relationship with myself in which I have offered myself respect and attention.

Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche wrote the following about the meaning of meditation:
Meditation practice is very important in anyone's daily life. Meditation means to apply the appropriate techniques to cultivate a gentler, calmer mind. It also refers to the process of getting used to this sane state of mind.

You may find that this more relaxed, self-respecting state of mind is a refreshing change.
Think about it: why should you beat yourself up over every little thing that happens? You are doing the best you can all the time. Besides, other people are critical enough of your decisions, actions, and results. When you take the time to regard yourself unconditionally and positively in meditation, you are offering yourself a gift without price.

No comments:

Post a Comment